Senior Platform Developer (Backend Developer)
The RealReal is leading the way in authenticated luxury consignment, online and in real life at our brick and mortar locations. Founded in 2011, we’re growing fast and fundamentally changing the way people buy and sell luxury — a multi-billion dollar industry. With a team of in-house experts who inspect every item we sell, our commitment to authenticity sets us apart and creates a foundation of trust with shoppers and consignors. Our mission to extend the lifecycle of luxury items is leading innovation in sustainable fashion. We’re proud to promote the circular economy and to be the first luxury member of the Ellen MacArthur Foundation’s prestigious CE100 USA.
Employees at The RealReal are dedicated, collaborative and innovative, and we’re looking for exceptional talent to join our team. Build your career with us and enjoy 401K matching, health, dental and vision insurance, commuter flex spending, healthcare flex spending, generous PTO, a mother’s room, flexible work hours and Friday bagels!
As a Senior Platform Engineer at The RealReal, you'll be a major contributor to TheRealReal's e-commerce platform APIs. You'll build APIs to support our consumer-facing website, mobile applications, internal warehouse and administration tools. The person in this role will own critical systems throughout the platform and be responsible for their performance, adding new features, and ensuring that these systems perform optimally. Thinking about high availability and scalability is a must and your unit of measurement should be in microseconds.
This position will be based out of The RealReal's San Francisco office.
- Develop new features throughout the platform, and maintain and enhance existing functionality.
- Help define and implement JSON REST APIs.
- Help write documentation for APIs and architectural decisions.
- Collaborate with senior management, product management, and other engineers in the development of product requirements for the company's software.
- Mentor other team members to build the company's overall expertise in software development.
- Work to make The RealReal an innovator in the space by bringing passion and new ideas to work every day.
- A degree in computer science/engineering with a minimum of 5 years of software development.
- Fluency in the Elixir and/or Ruby languages, including familiarity with the language's metaprogramming features.
- Experience writing applications using Test Driven Development.
- A belief that automated testing is essential to building robust, supportable software and a commitment to making automated testing part of the application development process.
- Familiarity with how asynchronous message queues are used in web applications and, ideally, experience in using such a framework in one or more real-world applications.
- High degree of familiarity with SQL databases, including data modeling in SQL, the use of indices to improve query performance, and the use of constraints and transactions to maintain data integrity.
- Practical experience with REST and JSON APIs, and an understanding of how to build applications that serve and consume these sorts of APIs.
- Familiarity with HTTP standards.
- Expertise in working with cloud systems, specifically for application hosting, file storage, and other related concerns.
- Experience integrating with 3rd party services, including social applications (e.g. Facebook, Twitter), communication services (e.g. Twilio, Sendgrid, APNS).
- Knowledge of best practices in designing and architecting localized applications.
- Comfortable working in an environment where innovation and change are the norms.
- A passion for building great products.
The RealReal offers a competitive salary, stock options, 401k with company match and a full menu of benefits. Join our team and make some history!
Find us: www.therealreal.com
Follow us: twitter.com/TheRealReal1
Like us: facebook.com/TheRealRealPage
Follow us: pinterest.com/therealrealApply now