Engineering Lead - Keeping Children Safe Online
This job offer is expired
At Bark, we’re on a mission to keep children safe online, and do so in a way that saves parents time and helps parents build trust with their children. We use cutting-edge machine-learning technology to detect issues like cyberbullying, sexting, and signs of depression and suicidal thoughts.
We’re a multicultural, inclusive team of who consider empathy a core job skill. If this sounds like you, you might be the Engineering Lead we’re looking for.
As an Engineering leader, you’ll play a critical role in the team ensuring the Bark engineering team is welcoming, happy, and operating efficiently. You’ll be entrusted with building systems that protect sensitive personal data. It’s a very meaningful role in an exciting time of growth for the company, and we hope you’ll consider applying.
What You’ll Do
As the first Engineering Lead at Bark, you might find yourself:
- Receiving help and mentorship from your peers and the CTO
- Mentoring and growing other members of the engineering team
- Proposing/implementing new features, or improving existing ones using your skills in both backend and front-end engineering
- Using your knowledge of the web, HTTP, and API design to write Ruby/Rails code implementing a new feature, along with corresponding unit and integration tests
- Chasing a performance improvement that has you matching logs from our desktop client application to backend API logs, optimizing Postgres/Dynamodb queries, and searching for optimizations in our AWS usage
- Optimizing a background job system based on Sidekiq processing 3 billion jobs per month
- Partnering with the CTO and peers to help evolve team processes
- Working with the team to advocate for data quality practices
- Participating in respectful code reviews to shape not just our code, but the way we think and talk about it, as well
- Sharing with your teammates, whether it’s mentoring another engineer, posting something awesome you just learned, or sharing what fun things you did over the weekend
How We’ll Handle Your Application
Interviewing can be stressful, so here’s what you can expect.
We’ll post the position and collect potential candidates for a period of time. If selected to continue to the interview process, you can expect:
- You’ll meet with the CTO for the position for a brief, 30 minute video chat. They’ll get a sense of what you’re looking for and answer any questions you might have about the role.
- You’ll be given a take-home exercise to complete at your own pace. A working solution should be manageable with around 4 hours of dedicated effort, or less. You’ll submit your exercise to the team for review.
- Our engineers will review the exercise and evaluate it, then we’ll schedule an hour for those team members to chat with you about your submission, your work experience, and answer any questions you may have.
- You’ll have a 30 minute chat with our CTO to get your feedback on the interview process and let you know about our decision.
That’s it! The whole process can be completed in as little as two weeks, depending on your availability.
Bark is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.