Our SumUp office in Sofia is hiring for the position of Backend Engineer.
In this role, you'll work with a small cross-functional co-located team to build tools that help hundreds of thousands of small businesses thrive. By shipping code early and often, you'll see the impact of your work on merchant's daily lives right away. You'll collaborate with experts in product, design, and operations to deliver mission-critical internal and external features that power the SumUp ecosystem.
We work on a number of different domains that span technologies, systems, and processes. A few of the technologies we're leveraging on SumUp platform include Ruby, Scala, Node, Erlang, Go, Kafka, Kubernetes and Docker.
Your role and responsibilities
- Participate in API design and implementation for both internal APIs and those exposed to our third-party integrators.
- Provide thoughtful and comprehensive documentation and testing for your features before shipping them.
- Design, implement, and iteratively improve new backend services.
- Maintain and extend existing backend services.
- Collaborate with other software, QA and sysops engineers to ensure smooth deployment, continual operation and support for quality software.
- Coach and mentor other engineers to increase their abilities and productivity.
- Actively provide code review feedback to other software engineers, considering both style and implementation.
- Experience with microservices architecture and Restful APIs
- Experience with Git
- Experience with SQL (PostgreSQL)
- Experience within Linux/Unix environment (comfortable working with a CLI)
- Solid OOP and FP skills
- Solid debugging, optimisation and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated, proactive and engaged attitude towards projects
- Ability to write clear and concise code that your teammates can understand and build upon
The reasons to join us
- Responsibility and empowerment from day one.
- Competitive compensation and education budget.
- Participate in our weekly developer events, like Lunch & Learn and Hack Fridays.
- We get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football, yoga, massages and office parties.
- At least one off-site every year, where the tech teams from Berlin, Sofia, and São Paulo gather to hack together. In the past we've gone to Germany, Bulgaria and Greece.
- Be part of one of world’s most exciting startups, on a mission to take over the world.
- Three days of extra vacation +1 day added every year
- Additional Health Insurance
Apply now! We're looking forward to meeting our next teammate!Apply now