Vote.org is hiring a Software Engineer to help us permantly increase voter turnout in America.
Software engineers at Vote.org are integral to everything that we do, whether we're talking about building best-in-class civic engagement tools, or running massive outreach campaigns to low-propensity voters. This isn't just a regular coding job: you'll also interact with the legal team, the partnerships team, the communications team, and any other team that forms over the next few years. Millions of voters will use the tools you build, and dozens of national organzations will rely on your technoloyg to power their outreach efforts. Intrigued? Keep reading.
These are the required skills for this position:
- 3+ years experience building user-facing web applications.
- Fluency in web development (HTML/CSS/JS) with Python or Ruby and related frameworks
- Experience working with internal and external APIs
We’re hoping you bring 1-2 (or more) of these bonus skills:
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience or interest in security, aws, and other infrastructure/scale related challenges
- Experience scraping websites for data and righting the crimes committed against data
- Experience with advocacy, nonprofit, or campaign work
- Experience working remotely
- Experience working on a small team
- Experience with GitHub, forking, and issue tracking.
- Experience building accessible software and testing for accessibility
- Experience with TDD, rspec, and/or similar approaches to testing
You will thrive in this role if you’re someone that:
- Loves the idea of putting your skills and experience to use to help increase voter turnout in a non-partisan fashion
- Is comfortable shipping "good enough" features instead of waiting for them to be perfect
- Likes the idea of working remotely, since we are an all-remote team
- Prefers planning and consistent execution over fire-fighting and chaos
- Loves front-end and feature work more than devops and backend (we do it all, but we primarily build and ship software)
- Can get down with our team motto: "If you get 1% better every day, you'll be over 3600% better in a single year." We think this is the right approach to Life, The Universe and Everything
The salary range for this position is $90,000 to $110,000 for applicants in the Bay Area, New York, and DC markets. It's adjusted based on cost of living for other markets.
- You’ll need a resume and the ability to answer a handful of short questions. We don't require a cover letter, because you don't want to write one and we don't want to read them.
- Applications are processed on a rolling basis.
- We will stop accepting applications on Saturday June 30, 2018.
Vote.org is an equal opportunity employer. This means that we don't discriminate against people because of their race, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, or political affiliation.
How to apply
Apply through Stack Overflow
You might also like
Full Stack Software Engineer MoveOnRemoteJune 13
Ruby Developer - Help us deploy more than 80 times a month! Global App TestingRemoteJune 05
Ruby on Rails Developer (m/f) for eSports-Startup MateCrate UGRemoteMay 25
Senior Ruby on Rails Engineer Litmus Software, Inc.RemoteMay 22