← Back to all jobs
Back End Developer (Ruby & Elixir)
This job offer is expired
- Elixir and Ruby APIs
- Remote (in North America)
- 2 years experience suggested
- Open Source (mostly)
- Bonus for iOS, Android, or React experience
- Inspiring Art, Passionate Community
- Millions of post impressions a day
What we are looking for
Ello is looking for an experienced back-end developer to work on the ello.co APIs. While most of our high volume requests are served by Elixir, we are still in the process of porting the rest of our endpoints away from Ruby to Elixir - you should be comfortable with both.
Our API serves millions of posts a day - and has to handle everything that goes along with that scale. We have been building all our new APIs in Elixir, and porting everything else to Elixir/GraphQL as time allows. We also have some extremely exciting technical challenges ahead that we need help with.
You can check out our open source repos at https://github.com/ello.
Ello is the Creators Network. Our mission is to provide Artists, Writers, Photographers and other creators with opportunities to build their reputation and get paid. Every day Ello serves millions of views to our passionate community - your work at Ello will matter.
You can learn more about Ello, including our stance on privacy and user data on our help site https://ello.co/wtf/, also make sure to poke around https://ello.co and check out some cool art.
Working at Ello
Ello is a small, distributed team of experienced designers and engineers. We work US hours and collaborate via Slack and Github. Most of our software is developed in the open as public repositories under an MIT license (except our Rails API).
Ello is built with modern technology, React/Redux, Kotlin, and Swift on the front ends, Ruby, Elixir and Go on the back end. We deploy frequently (except not on Fridays) to Heroku and AWS.
Our routine consists of:
- Daily “standup” slack messages following the standard scrum format
- Daily “watercooler" calls where we just chat about casual topics
- Weekly planning meetings
- Bi-weekly retrospectives
- Weekly cross-department standups
- Planning is collaborative - some of our most successful features and initiatives have been proposed by the dev team.
You may also like
Ruby on Rails Engineer Clevertech