Front-end / Full-stack Web Developer (Ruby on Rails)
This job offer is expired
Role: Mid-to-senior front-end/full-stack web developer, with Rails experience
Industry: science, research, health
Covidence is looking for a web application developer to join our Melbourne-based team, locally or remotely. Our engineering ethos is to build software that is easy to maintain and scale with a small team from simple, functional components. You'll be a key contributor to the product and will have a voice in the organisation as a whole.
The work you do will have meaningful impact in the world, improving health and well-being by enabling and supporting the use of evidence-based research and practice. Researchers worldwide use our SaaS product to distill the deluge of research findings into effective practices in health, education and other fields of human well-being.
We are a small and young non-profit company, still building the foundation for a sustainable future and a great company culture. New additions to the team are welcome to help shape the company and culture with us around our shared values: honesty, compassion, curiosity, and diligence.
- You will contribute to the product and product development processes.
- You will participate in wider company discussions and decisions.
- You will take features and bug fixes from concept through to production. You will sniff out the real requirements, understand design trade offs, deploy it to production, and monitor it with metrics.
- You will promote a safe and sustainable working environment.
- You will collaborate within the company and with our partners.
- You will treat our customers, partners, and colleagues with respect and compassion.
- You may occasionally need to respond to system outages after hours, but we will go to lengths to make this a rarity.
Many of these should describe you but we welcome applications from candidates who feel they can contribute in other ways.
- You are comfortable working in the context of Ruby on Rails applications.
- You can give thoughtful code review feedback and willing to receive the same.
- You are comfortable working through legacy code and refactoring it to be in accordance with team practices.
- You have working knowledge of at least one other programming language; you can convince us of its utility, but caution us where it might be painful.
- You have production experience maintaining a medium to large codebase.
Some of the things we are working on
- Integrating machine assistance into user workflows
- Building features to detect duplicate user data
- Importing and exporting user projects to partner APIs
- Formulating data models for capturing research and study findings
- Enterprise features such as Single Sign-On
- Converting the application from a conventional REST app to a React-based front-end using GraphQL.
- 💻 Laptop, monitor, and other equipment provided
- ⚖️ Transparent and sustainable working environment
- ⛱ Flexible working location and hours
- 📚 $2,000 AUD per year budget for professional development such as conferences or learning materials
- 📦 Not-for-profit salary packaging concessions (salary sacrifice your rent/mortgage!)
- 🛠 We value continually improving our code quality and reducing technical complexity
- 👓 We inform our product changes with user testing and research
- 📊 We build software to encourage health practices supported by data, and we aim to build that software using practices and through decisions supported by data
- 👩🔬 Opportunities to collaborate with experts in machine learning, medical research, and other fields
- 🗣 Regular 1-on-1s with manager