Fullstack Software Engineer
Whether on the go, in the subway or at home on the sofa, Babbel supports those who enjoy learning outside of work or school. Since its founding in 2007, the company has grown to become the market leader in app based language learning. In total, Babbel offers 14 learning languages, from English to Indonesian. Professional courses are readily available via the Babbel website as well as on your smartphone or tablet. At Babbel, more than 500 team members from over 42 different countries work hard to set standards for creating a new learning experience.
We are looking for a Fullstack Engineer to join our Team in Berlin!
You are a Software Engineer with broad technology experience who can be trusted to take pragmatic decisions in their day to day workflow. You have an eye for details and enjoy working in a fast-moving and diverse company. You are keen to venture out of your comfort zone to try out new domains, technologies and ways of working. You have played around with one or more modern frontend frameworks and are curious to learn more. You’d be working on a new innovative language learning product with focus on continuous delivery in a small cross functional team. Our technology stack is Ruby, Grape for APIs, MongoDB and ReactJS with Redux.
- Code hands-on yourself to deliver quality solutions.
- Pragmatic and not pedantic when it comes to software development.
- Participate in product shaping and embrace the chaos of an early stage product.
- Work in a cross-functional agile team and build the next generation of language learning app.
- Participate in technical architecture evolution with our team and lead architect.
- Maintain and evolve existing services - including refactoring and reduction of technical debt.
- Identify and implement innovative solutions and ensure long-term stability and maintainability of our code base.
- Ensure code quality and participate in code reviews.
- 2+ years experience in software development.
- Experience with building Single Page Applications using React and Redux frameworks.
- Experience with Ruby for building web applications, with our without Rails.
- Experience in building prototypes for quick market fit evaluations is a plus.
- Passion for building scalable distributed architectures and services using proven software design techniques.
- Experience in refactoring and methodologies of managing and driving down technical debt.
- Experience in TDD using Rspec, Mocha and standard Ruby testing frameworks.
- OPTIONAL: Understanding of lean and agile practices, in particular Scrum and Kanban.
Nice to have:
- Experience in using cloud services, ideally AWS and Heroku PAAS.
- Experience with NoSQL databases, especially MongoDB.
- The potential to change the way of learning for millions of users worldwide.
- Responsibility from day one and professional and personal growth.
- Participate in hackdays, technology brown-bags.
- A lively startup atmosphere with friendly working hours.
- A vibrant international team from over 50 different nationalities.
- Excellent working conditions with a location in the heart of the Berlin scene.
- Great company benefits (high-end company bike, fresh fruits & drinks, hackathons etc.)
- Flexible working hours, a company bike, family room, free fruit and soft drinks
- A startup mentality with ownership and trust from day one
- Personal and professional development with Babbel Academy in-house training
- Learn and collaborate with hackdays and lunchtime talks (with pizza!)
- Work that matters: empowering people with language
- Regular social events with friendly and diverse Babbelonians
- Office in the heart of buzzing Berlin
How to apply
Apply through Stack Overflow