← Back to all jobs
Software Engineer - Data Portability
The Professional Services team at GitHub focuses on helping customers get started and grow with GitHub. The GitHub Professional Services team is looking for a passionate self-starter to create tools for our customers and fellow employees. Our Data Portability Engineers will create software that enables our customers to have a great experience moving to the GitHub platform.
The Data Portability Engineering team is a distributed team that looks to help both customers and fellow team members. You will have the opportunity to work on various projects that are typically built with Ruby.
The tools you will build will help...
- GitHub customers move to the GitHub deployment of their choice
- GitHub Professional Services team members reach more customers and bring more people to the GitHub platform
- remove barriers for our customers to use GitHub
You have demonstrated experience with Git, GitHub, and modern software development tools and methodologies. You have:
- worked on an active web application of scale as an integral part of the team
- general database knowledge
- comfort working in different data serialization formats
- comfort and familiarity working with APIs
- an understanding of dynamic programming languages
- an appreciation and understanding of software testing principles
- are familiar with metrics-driven application monitoring
- excellent communication skills, especially when working with a distributed team
- have strong empathy for your coworkers and the need for people to have great tools
- a good understanding of some of the underlying principles of version control software
- a willingness to work directly with customers to make tools that better suit their needs
- other version control systems, such as Subversion, Mercurial, or Team Foundation Server
- the Ruby programming language
- supporting and interfacing with Enterprise businesses
You can be a great candidate even if you don't fit everything we've described above. You can also have important skills we haven't thought of. If that's you, don't hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over 24 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 67 million repositories. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.