Senior Full-stack Software Developer
This job offer is expired
Always be kind: a simple daily affirmation and one that feels more like a personal mission statement than a corporate motto -- but Pivotal isn’t just any corporation. Underpinning our world-class capabilities in cloud-native software delivery and agile development methodologies is one common thread: empathy. Not only do we want to transform the way the world builds software, we also want to make sure that sustainable pace, kindness, and diversity are at the core of every enterprise.
Known for taking an iterative approach, our 2000+ employees are empowered every day to help shape the way we build software. Pivotal is committed to open source, a diverse culture, and fostering safe spaces for all of our individual employees.
You are looking for a collaborative environment building distributed systems that enable enterprises to focus on their business rather than re-architecting a cloud platform from scratch. Pair programming has always been something that you wanted to try out.
Furthering your education and learning from your peers has always been a goal of yours. Learning new programming languages and putting those languages into practice piques your interest.
Contributing to open source software makes you feel good about the transparency it brings to an organization's code quality.
What we Offer
Agile concepts are at the core of our process. We have a whole host of Pivotal Practices around Test Driven Development, pair programming, team retrospectives, technical retrospectives and continuous integration. We are excited to teach these to you and innovate with you on their implementation.
We stick to a strict 8 hour a day schedule (with flexible start and end times). Although on-call rotations are part of most teams incidents are exceedingly rare.
A majority of our time is spent pairing in our London office but enabling remote teamwork has become a priority for us. We use Slack to stay connected and Screenhero or Tmux for pairing. We are working hard to make sure that our distributed teams function as smoothly as our distributed systems.
You'll rarely be alone when developing; from pairing all day to 1 on 1 time with your manager, there is always a Pivot there to lend a helping hand. Mentorship from senior engineering leadership is built right into our process - you’ll always be empowered.
To help with your development and encourage your own interests, you'll have the opportunity to move between teams within Pivotal. Whether it is the same organization or to another; Cloud Foundry R&D or Pivotal Labs.
Making an investment in each Pivot’s professional development improves the organization as a whole. We encourage you to go to conferences or purchase those pricey O'Reilly books - and we’ll give you a budget each year to do it.
As cliche as it may sound, every day is completely different from the next. We have a general framework for what our day looks like and the majority of it will be spent with your pair:
- 9:06 AM - Office-wide stand-up to build office cohesion and start the day off together.
- 9:10 AM - Team standup - discuss any blockers, choose pairs, maybe even tell a joke.
- 9:30-12:30 PM - Start pairing, tackle an open Backlog issue!
- 12:30-1:30 PM - Lunch! Enjoy food at some of the local markets, run an errand, or join a club.
- 1:31-6:00 PM - Get back with your pair and start an acceptance test for a big feature.
While that schedule does look busy, don’t worry - we take ample breaks throughout the day. Play a game of ping pong, or chat with co-workers in the fully stocked kitchen. Sustainable pace is held in high regard. We know there is a life outside of work, we want you to be able to spend time with family and friends.
Desired Skills / Experience
We know from experience that not ticking every box on the skills sections stops many from applying. You should apply regardless of your self-assessment because we want to hear from you.
- Ability to dive into a large polyglot codebase and contribute as you learn
- Being okay with the uncomfortable feeling that comes from learning new things
- Interest in exploring new programming paradigms, languages, and patterns
- Demonstrable ability to research problems and break them into discrete parts
Nice to Have
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related field
- Operations or Systems Administration experience, particularly on UNIX
- Worked with large Go/Ruby/Rails codebases
- Used Test Driven Development (TDD) extensively
- Worked in a pair programming environment
- Contributed to an open source project
- On-call experience with production grade systems
- Has mentored others in a professional setting
- Cloud Foundry engineers can participate in an on-call rotation with their team to support software they work on
Pivotal is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.