← Back to all jobs
Rails Full-Stack Software Engineer
This job offer is expired
Five Good Friends is reinventing home care. Combining easy to use technology with skilled and caring people we are building Australia’s best care company. We are raising people’s ambitions as to what they should expect from a care company. We are focused on the customer experience and believe significant change is required. We are passionate about keeping people connected to the homes, communities and life they love. We already have hundreds of paying customers and funding to scale our footprint nationally.
We need your help to evolve our product by crafting delightful software. We organise ourselves into small, multi-disciplinary teams and collaborate through Basecamp and GitHub. We’re small, so we’d prefer you to work like a generalist, although there is room to specialise in the future. We place a huge emphasis on learning, collective ownership, and working sustainably.
Our product is underpinned by a monolithic Rails app powered by PostgreSQL, Redis, and Heroku. We do zero downtime deploys, have had 99.99% uptime since we launched in August 2016, and leverage server-side rendering combined with Turbolinks. This has enabled us to make our product available on iOS as well as the web. We have plans to make it available on Android too.
- Contributing to our evolving product and its business model.
- Championing architecture based on analytics, research and experimentation.
- Designing, building, testing, and delivering high quality, delightful software. You will be collaborating with other Software Engineers, UX Designers, UI Designers, and Product Managers.
- Automating repetitive tasks and sharpening internal tools to keep us running smoothly.
- Mentoring other Engineers by providing them with technical guidance, ideas, and feedback.
- Supporting operations and participating in an on-call roster.
- Keeping app users safe and our product secure.
- Promoting a safe and sustainable working environment.
- Willing to learn and be responsive to the aged care and disability services sectors.
- Taking features and bug fixes from concept through to production. You will sniff out the real requirements, understand design trade-offs, deploy it to production, and monitor it with metrics.
- Comfortable using Ruby and relational databases to model concepts with object oriented design.
- Production experience maintaining a medium to large Rails codebase. You should be able to tell us what you love about Rails, and where you deviate.
- Working knowledge of at least one other programming language. You should be able to convince us of its utility, but caution us where it might be painful.
- You work better in a team and believe in the collective ownership of code. You are comfortable reviewing code and having your code reviewed.
- You write unit tests to guide your code and integration tests to ensure everything works together.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fluent in English with an international mindset.
- Overlap with Brisbane (UTC+10) for 5 hours and right to work in Australia.
If you have any of these things, great. If not, we are willing to teach (Or get training).
- Integrating with 3rd party APIs. You know how to protect an application from a flaky network or handle an unexpected payload.
- Working knowledge of building for Android or iOS.
- Contributing to open source software.
- Instrumenting and analysing metrics with DataDog.
- Deploying, debugging, and scaling applications on Heroku.
- Automating systems with Ansible and Docker.
Depending on skills and experience we are prepared to offer:
- A base salary up to A$130,000 + Super.
- Your laptop of choice, keyboard, mouse, adapters, and huge display.
- Direct line of sight to product outcomes.
- Flexible, sustainable, and safe working environment.
- Extra days of annual leave over time.
- $500 health and wellbeing allowance to spend on gym membership, running shoes, cooking classes, dancing classes, or anything that you feel will help your wellbeing.
Permanent, full time.
No recruiters, thanks.
You may also like
Full Stack Rails Developer Tuft & Needle
Senior Rails engineer ConvertKit
Senior Software Engineer FlyData Inc.
Experienced Ruby / Elixir Developer Cultivate Software Ltd