Ruby on Rails Software Developer
This job offer is expired
EAB is an education best practices firm that uses a combination of research, technology, and services to improve the performance of 1,200+ educational institutions. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., EAB forges and finds the best new ideas and proven practices from its network of thousands of leaders, then customizes and hardwires them into every level of member organizations, creating enduring value.
At EAB, we serve not only our members but each other—that's why we are always working to make sure our employees love their jobs and are invested in their community. See how we've been recognized for this dedication to our employees by checking out our recent awards.
Software Engineer, Ruby on Rails
The Software Engineer will be a member of the EAB’s Performance Technologies Software Product Development team and will be deeply involved in the full product life cycle of multiple applications. The ideal candidate will be an energetic overachiever, with a team-focused startup mentality, who is passionate about solving problems and doing whatever is necessary to get the job done. We have a fun and intellectually challenging development culture and we’re looking for people that are able to add to a collaborative, mission driven team.
This position is based in our Birmingham, Alabama office.
- Working with product managers and other stakeholders to get clarification on business requirements and then implementing solutions including code development and database design
- Ensuring high quality solutions by implementing unit tests and supporting the creation and design of integration, load and user acceptance tests
- Support operations by identifying, researching and resolving performance and production issues
- Team first mentality
- Bachelors degree
- 2+ years of experience with Ruby on Rails
- 1+ years of experience working with relational or multi-dimensional databases.
- Basic knowledge of SQL
- 1+ years of professional experience with 1 of the following bullets:
- Database application or ETL development
- Proficiency in object-oriented analysis, design, and programming. Experience with design patterns and tiered architecture.
- Clear understanding of the MVC pattern and RESTful architectural style.
- Able to leverage proven and emerging frameworks, continuous integration, and other best of breed practices and technologies.
- Working knowledge of Persistence frameworks (ActiveRecord).
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment
- Experience developing software in a commercial software product development environment
- Ability to provide analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Experience working with relational or multi-dimensional data in reporting or analytic infrastructures.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Ability to communicate with business and technical teams both orally and written
- Experience with Elasticsearch
- Working knowledge of NoSQL databases (MongoDB).
- Experience with Resque/Sidekiq
- Experience with distributed Source Code Management tools (SCM), GIT preferred
- Must possess desire to learn new technologies. Ability to learn quickly.
- Must possess strong communications skills, both written and oral. Ability to articulate technical viewpoints to team members and clients.
- Must be a self-starter/self-reliant to define strategies and work collaboratively to harden/publish strategies. Able to work independently, take ownership of tasks and deliver high quality products and customer services
Consistent with our belief that our employees are our most valuable resource, EAB offers a competitive benefits package.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, dependents eligible
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Generous PTO
- Daytime leave policy for community service or fitness activities (up to 10 hours a month each)
- Wellness programs including gym discounts and incentives to promote healthy living
- Dynamic growth opportunities with merit-based promotion philosophy
- Benefits kick in day one, see the full details here.