Site Reliability Engineer
This job offer is expired
- Join our thriving global, online business
- Work in an environment which is unique in its scale and pace of change in Australia
- Based in our Melbourne CBD Head Office or remote (Australia wide)
Headquartered in Melbourne, Australia, we're a completely online company with an ecosystem of sites and services to help people get creative. In September 2014, one of our sites, ThemeForest, was the 90th most visited website in the world and it remains among the most visited Australian-owned website on the planet! With more than 350 staff and contractors worldwide, we've helped a community of creative sellers earn more than $500 Million.
JobAdvisor awarded us the title of Australia's Coolest Company for Women and Diversity (2015 and 2016). We were also named as one of the Best Places to Work in Australia in the 2015, 2016 and 2017 BRW Awards.
On Envato Market thousands of people earn a living selling things like WordPress themes, photos, music tracks and illustrations. With Envato Elements, we oversee one of the world’s largest subscription services for digital creatives, providing hundreds of thousands of files for unlimited download for one flat fee. We offer website design and hosting with Envato Sites. On our education platform Tuts+, over 5 million people learn skills including code, illustration, photography, web design, and more, each month. We also run a freelance marketplace called Envato Studio.
You might be surprised to know that not only do we run some of the biggest websites in the world; we’re also growing really fast!
What we’re looking for
You will have built and managed large scale, web facing systems serving millions of requests a month while still supporting many deploys a day. You understand that configuring and managing this scale of infrastructure requires a fully-automated infrastructure provisioning toolset. You need to have a broad knowledge of system administration, networking, databases, security, storage and performance and have expertise in at least one of these disciplines.
You align with the goals of the DevOps movement in improving collaboration between the development and operations disciplines.
What you’ll be doing
We value people who can roll up their sleeves and get things done while keeping the big goals in sight. As a Site Reliability Engineer, you'll be part of a team that supports the wider engineering team to ensure the reliability of Envato's websites. Here's a snapshot of your day-to-day:
- Availability: work to increase the mean-time-between-failures and decrease the mean-time-to-repair of public-facing systems
- Monitoring: contribute to the improvement of the monitoring and measurement systems that support our operational scale and continuous delivery
- Operations: help the engineering team to operate the systems required to deliver the sites
- Emergency Response: take part in the roster to support the site after normal office hours, troubleshoot live production issues, facilitate the response to emergency situations, and review incidents and make recommendations based on lessons learned
- Performance, Efficiency & Latency: contribute to the measurement techniques that assist in the performance tuning of the applications stack, use the monitoring systems to help maintain application performance at acceptable levels, and recommend and implement performance improvements across the stack
- Security & Risk: participate in the ongoing process to identify and mitigate risk in Market systems
- Capacity Planning: use our monitoring to advise on capacity requirements
- A commitment to continual learning
- On value with Envato’s passionate and supportive culture
- Has provided a positive contribution to both operations-focused and development-focused work
- Communicates well in person and in writing
- Has built and maintained cloud-based applications and infrastructure
- Linux administration
- Monitoring and logging tools
- Passion for and experience in best practice systems operations tools and techniques
- Supporting a large public facing web-based application
- Has worked with tools and frameworks for automating infrastructure
Technologies you'll be working with
- SQL Database management
- DDoS defence systems
- Datadog, NewRelic, Rollbar and Splunk Monitoring and Logging Tools
- Application and Edge Caching and CDNs
- Ruby and Ruby-on-Rails application development
- AWS Aurora (MySQL performance tuning and troubleshooting)
- Security and Risk identification, assessment and mitigation
- Puppet and Cloudformation
- Self-healing systems
And in our environment we value people who
- Are nice
- Are self-starters with a sense of humour
- Contribute to Open Source projects
- Have experience in other agile environments
- Prefer a culture of shared responsibility between software developers and infrastructure specialists
What we offer
The challenge of scale and speed of change
As a Site Reliability Engineer you’ll be working in an environment which is unique in its scale and pace of change in Australia. The core application (written in Ruby on Rails) peaks at around 20,000 requests a minute and handles around 25 million application requests a day. Our development team will typically deploy the entire application 15-20 times per day and we are deploying software-defined infrastructure updates many times a week. Our traffic is 24/7 so there no “quiet periods” for maintenance. All this combined means you are unlikely to find a more challenging role of this kind in Australia.
A great team and culture
- We’re careful about hiring, and have built a team of great devs
- Developers are responsible for features from inception through to them being in the hands of customers. The devs talk directly to customers about what they’re working on
- We do continuous delivery properly: any team member can deploy, and we regularly do several deploys a day
- We publish portions of our code as open source, and contribute back to open source projects we use
- We run regular retro and education sessions, and constantly encourage our team to improve their craft
- We have a low politics-to-actual-work ratio
- A fantastic culture of creatively minded, hard working people who are passionate about Envato and being part of its growth and success
- Flexible working conditions – we want you to love your work but also your life outside of Envato
- We actively work on creating a safe, inclusive environment free from discrimination
- A fast paced and progressive environment where everyone has regular interaction with teammates and Envato community members from all over the world!
- Read more from our staff about why they love working at Envato by visiting www.jobadvisor.com.au/envato
Who should apply?
We care deeply about diversity at Envato, and welcome applicants of all types, and from all backgrounds. If you think you have the skills and experience needed for this role then we'd like to hear from you.
Submit a cover letter, an up to date copy of your resume and answers to questions. Good luck!
How to apply
Apply through Stack Overflow