Senior Software Engineer - Backend (Ruby)
This job offer is expired
Whether on the go, in the subway or at home on the sofa, Babbel supports those who enjoy learning outside of work or school. Since its founding in 2007, the company has grown to become the market leader in app based language learning. In total, Babbel offers 14 learning languages, from English to Indonesian. Professional courses are readily available via the Babbel website as well as on your smartphone or tablet. At Babbel, more than 500 team members from over 42 different countries work hard to set standards for creating a new learning experience.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer(Backend) to join our Team in Berlin!
We are looking for smart and curious minds who can share in our goal of widening access to language learning. In your role as a Software Engineer, you care about maintaining a clean code base and strive for technical excellence in the build of our product. Above all else, you are always personally learning and developing, and you have the maturity and technical artistry to make timely and sustainable contributions.
- Expert in software development with Ruby on Rails
- Confident handling of relational databases
- Experienced in maintenance of complex code bases and driving down technical debt
- Experience in using cloud services, ideally AWS
- Proven experience in at least one other server-side framework
- Development capabilities proven by great work results
- Strong software engineering practices including design patterns, testing and CI
- Excellent communication skills in terms of moderating dialogues and managing conflicts
- Solid understanding of lean and agile practices
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Deliver high quality code from designing and iterating new features into production in short sprint cycles
- Independently design, build, maintain and take ownership of backend services
- Work closely together with other engineering disciplines (front-end, mobile) to ensure seamless user experience and efficient overall architecture
- Identify and implement innovative solutions with strong focus on long-term stability and maintainability of our code base
- Focus on continuous learning and improvement to drive the evolution of our engineering practices
- Ensure code quality and actively participate in code reviews
- Work within a high-performing team at Babbel.
- A steep learning-curve – personally and professionally.
- A challenging environment and a lot of responsibility to prove your skills.
- A lively startup atmosphere with friendly working hours.
- A vibrant international company with people from over 42 different nationalities.
- Great company benefits (high-end company bike, fresh fruit & drinks).
How to apply
Apply through Stack Overflow