← Back to all jobs
Lead Code Whisperer with Rails and/or .NET experience
This job offer is expired
What Chip and Joanna do for houses, we do for code! We love finding fixer-upper apps that provide amazing business value but need some remodeling. We're also a women-owned business and 66% of our leadership team are women.
Our main focus is on making software applications more stable, scalable, and secure. We call this "software remodeling" and we approach our work through the lens of these core values:
- Act With Empathy: Listening and understanding is at the very heart of our culture. Consider the people who are impacted by your work: your clients, your users, your teammates, and even your future self.
- Adopt a Growth Mindset: Constantly find ways to expand your knowledge and learn new things. Your intelligence and talent are not fixed; they're developed over time through perseverance, dedication, and hard work.
- Calm the Chaos: Urgency leads to errors; frenzy to frustration. We focus on developing the steady working rhythm and calm mind that works best for solving complex problems.
- Communication is Just as Important as Code: No one at Corgibytes identifies themselves as a “technical” or “non-technical” because everyone is both. Practice both types of skills regularly.
- Craftsmanship in Context: Match your solution to the situation. Sometimes it’s a quick and dirty prototype to prove a concept. When the stakes are high, spending extra time getting it right is the best way to go.
Sound like you? Awesome! That's a great sign because we live these values every day. They’re a guide in making decisions, no matter how small. They’ve helped us develop a culture where folks are autonomous, responsible, and work hard without feeling burned out or like they have to choose between family and work. We’re the type of company where it’s common to see a toddler bouncing on a knee during a meeting. As an intentionally distributed team, we focus more on results than micromanagement. Our core values are key to our culture, as are our pillars of autonomy, balance, diversity, and trust.
What Corgibytes Does
There’s a lot of existing code out there that needs to be modernized safely. We specialize in this and have even coined a new term — software remodeling — to describe what we do. In general, we focus on activities that make software more stable, scalable, and secure, which can often blend traditional development with more DevOps and consulting activities (ex: teaching our clients how to write good acceptance tests using Gherkin). In general, we refactor, introduce or improve test coverage, break up monolithic apps, upgrade frameworks in any language, framework or platform. The best part for you? You'll get to solve lots of really interesting engineering challenges!
About The Role
We've got some projects coming down the pike and we're looking for some seasoned full-stack developers who enjoy working with existing codebases to make them better. We're particularly looking for folks who have solid skills with Rails and/or .NET. This will be a contractor position and part-time is okay.
Here's a question: does reconstructing a database from the binary files without any documentation sound like a fun challenge? If so, you've got the right attitude! Most of the folks on our team identify as "menders" (as opposed to makers). Given the choice, they'd rather fix bugs, pay down technical debt, and work on support tickets instead of doing exploratory features. Many of our clients come to us with complex architectural problems and can't find the talent anywhere else. As a Lead Code Whisperer, you can work directly with a client to help them migrate platforms, address security vulnerabilities, integrate with obscure systems, and more. You love a challenge and can understand and articulate the business value of technical choices.
If a project requires a stack you haven’t used before, your instinct is to become eager, not intimidated. You regularly practice writing clean code with Test-Driven Development and document your rationale. You stay up-to-date with industry best practices and maybe you're even starting to contribute your thoughts through blogs, StackOverflow, presentations, etc. You are a mentor who loves helping other developers grow in their careers. You enjoy pair programming and take pride in giving solid feedback through pull requests and code reviews.
Salary & Benefits
We're currently looking for 1-2 contractors to add to our team. Our current rate for contractors is $74.48/hour, which might seem a little odd, but here's how we got at such a specific number. We started with an annual salary of $110k/year. Next, we divided that by 1920 (48 weeks/year at 40 hours per week - we assume you’d take 4 weeks per year off) and add 30% to compensate for contractor expenses (using your own equipment, paying your own health insurance, self-employment taxes, etc.).
Other benefits include:
- Work where and when you want. We're a fully distributed team.
- Lots of autonomy and self-organizing teams.
- 10% of your billable time accrues for professional development
- Yoga/mindfulness classes
At this point, you're probably thinking something like, "This job description really speaks to me, but I've never heard of Corgibytes. How do I know they're legit and learn more about them?" No worries, my friend. We get that our business is a little under the radar as opposed to consumer apps, so here are some podcasts and articles you can check out to learn more about us and the work we do.
- Software Engineering Daily (https://softwareengineeringdaily.com/2016/11/07/legacy-code-with-andrea-goulet/)
- Hanselminutes (https://www.hanselminutes.com/539/learning-to-love-legacy-code-with-andrea-goulet-from-corgibytes)
- First Round Review (http://firstround.com/review/forget-technical-debt-heres-how-to-build-technical-wealth/)
- NASDAQ CTO Summit (https://www.facebook.com/NASDAQ/videos/10154583234682429/)
- LinkedIn Next Wave - Our CEO, Andrea, was listed as one of the "Top 10 Professionals in Software under 35" (https://lists.linkedin.com/2016/next-wave-top-professionals-35-and-under-20161011#)
We're really excited about the work we're doing. It's important. There's so much code out there that needs to be updated and maintained, and the work we do is full of complex engineering problems that are fun to work on. We look forward to hearing from you!
You may also like
Full-stack Software Engineer Trakstar, Reviewsnap, Recruiterbox
React Native / Ruby on Rails Engineer FullStack
Senior Ruby on Rails Developer ZOLL Medical
Senior Full Stack Engineer GoDaddy