Development Team Lead
This job offer is expired
- Leadership opportunity in Envato Engineering.
- Create & drive the Technical Vision for an entire division of Envato
- Named Australia's Coolest Company for Women & one of the Best Places to Work
We're continuing to grow our team and we're looking for a Development Lead who would love the opportunity to work at Australia's premier Ruby development company. We work in small cross functional teams with a variety of skills and experience so, whether you're a passionate Ruby newbie or you've worked at our scale before, we'd love to hear from you.
Headquartered in Melbourne, Australia, we're a completely online company with an ecosystem of sites and services to help people get creative. In September 2014, one of our sites, ThemeForest, was the 90th most visited website in the world and it remains among the most visited Australian-owned website on the planet! With more than 350 staff and contractors worldwide, we've helped a community of creative sellers earn more than $500 Million.
JobAdvisor awarded us the title of Australia's Coolest Company for Women and Diversity (2015 and 2016). We were also named as one of the Best Places to Work in Australia in the 2015, 2016 and 2017 BRW Awards.
On Envato Market thousands of people earn a living selling things like WordPress themes, photos, music tracks and illustrations. With Envato Elements, we oversee one of the world’s largest subscription services for digital creatives, providing hundreds of thousands of files for unlimited download for one flat fee. We offer website design and hosting with Envato Sites. On our education platform Tuts+, over 5 million people learn skills including code, illustration, photography, web design, and more, each month. We also run a freelance marketplace called Envato Studio.
You might be surprised to know that not only do we run some of the biggest websites in the world; we’re also growing really fast!
Can you Meet the Expectations of Envato's Engineering Team?
At Envato, our Engineers expect certain things of each other. Not all of these are easy to uphold. Are you ready to join the team and meet the expectations of your peers at Envato? Read about the expectations and how they were developed by our team on our technical blog.
What you'll be doing
As a Development Team Lead, your role will be to lead one or more of the engineering teams in the technology team. A typical delivery team has 3-7 engineers, and often specialist roles such as UX. You’ll be responsible for the team’s delivery of initiatives, as well as line management of the engineers in the team. On the technical side, you will provide technical leadership and drive technical decisions and solutions. You’ll also take ownership of the systems your team builds, which includes managing costs, risks, architecture, and operations.
What we’re looking for
- Substantial people management, team leadership and mentoring experience of at least two years
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills
- Proven effective in working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment, ideally using Agile processes
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Ability to effectively prioritise and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment requiring adaptability
- Displays integrity and ethical behaviour; interacts fairly, honestly and professionally in all business dealings
- Ability to increase the team’s output without slipping quality
- Ability to establish relationships and work with other business teams (support, marketing, legal, etc.)
- Ability to take and give constructive feedback
- Will promote the team within the local and global development communities
- Can display honesty, openness, fairness, transparency, and integrity in line with the Envato values
What We've Got
A Great Team and Culture
- Developers are responsible for features from inception through to them being in the hands of customers. The devs talk directly to customers about what they're working on
- We do continuous delivery properly: any team member can deploy, and we regularly do several deploys a day
- We publish portions of our code as open source, and contribute back to open source projects we use
- We were recently named Australia's Coolest Tech Company by JobAdvisor and one of the Best Places to Work in Australia
- A fantastic culture of creatively minded, hard working people who are passionate about Envato and being part of its growth and success
- Flexible working conditions – we want you to love your work but also your life outside of Envato
- We actively work on creating a safe, inclusive environment free from discrimination
- In addition to hiring for our Melbourne CBD office, we will also consider applications from those who would like to work remotely (Australia wide)
- Future career progression will be available across the entire business - we're big on internal opportunities and professional growth!
Who should apply?
We care deeply about diversity at Envato, and welcome applicants of all types, and from all backgrounds. If you think you have the skills and experience needed for this role then we'd like to hear from you.
Submit a cover letter, an up to date copy of your resume and answers to the questions. Good luck!