Backend software engineer - UK based with remote work
OpenOwnership Software Engineer job description
Ten years ago, the idea of public registers of beneficial ownership was a campaigner’s long-shot. But now, with governments across the world committed to collecting and publishing information on the people who really own companies, we’re making it a reality.
With backing from the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID), OpenOwnership is poised take its tools and support into the mainstream and deliver its first two-year strategy, based on uptake of the OpenOwnership Register and Beneficial Ownership Data Standard. At this critical moment, we are seeking a Full-time Software Engineer to join our distributed team, help deliver an ambitious roadmap and take the Register to the next level.
You should be located in a time zone that is + or - 5 hours from GMT, but we’re especially interested if you’re in the UK or Europe. We are a women-led team and strongly encourage other women and individuals from marginalized communities to apply.
About the role:
The OpenOwnership Register – (currently in beta) is an online platform to collect and publish beneficial ownership data. Currently a Ruby on Rails web application hosted on Heroku, with MongoDB as the primary database, and ElasticSearch for search indexing, the application regularly ingests data from multiple data sources (of beneficial ownership data) in to a single coherent data model.
We are looking for an all-rounder Software Engineer, with a solid backend background and some front-end experience. You will work with the Product Owner and developer/s to define software requirements and develop high-quality software that is aligned with user needs and project goals. You will be responsible for developing, testing, improving and maintaining the Register to help users retrieve data effectively.
In this role, you should be able to work independently with little supervision. You should have excellent communication and problem-solving skills. If you have hands-on experience developing web services for large datasets and are comfortable working within an Agile framework, we’d like to meet you.
Here’s what we’re offering:
- The opportunity to drive and shape work with the potential for real impact on anti-corruption and corporate transparency;
- Very competitive salary
- Generous benefits, including leave package and 7% employer pension contribution
- Training budget and time to develop deeper skills and knowledge in relevant areas such as data standards, open data, corporate structures, anti-corruption and international development technical assistance
- Flexible work location with weekly virtual team meetings and regular in-person sessions
- Options for a fixed term or permanent contract
- Develop high-quality software design and architecture
- Define technical user requirements and execute tasks in the software development life cycle
- Develop tools and applications by producing clean, efficient code
- Modify databases according to requests and perform tests
- Solve database usage issues and malfunctions
- Liaise with team to improve applications and establish best practices (test-driven development, continuous integration, SCRUM, refactoring and code standards)
- Research and suggest new database products, services and protocols
Ensure software is up-to-date with latest technologies
Overall program supportServe as a general source of knowledge on OpenOwnership functionality and data, supporting people who want to use the information on the platform
OpenOwnership Register and pilotsProvide technical assistance to pilot program participants.Work with the Product Owner to assess and evaluate learnings from pilots.
Beneficial Ownership Data StandardWork with Open Data Services Co-operative (ODSC), OpenOwnership’s partner for developing the Beneficial Ownership Data Standard, to provide support to data publishers and to advise on developing the data standard schema.
You should have both extremely strong technical knowledge and an interest in social change. The ideal candidate will have a solid backend experience with some working knowledge of front-end technology.
- 5+ years developing back end systems and APIs
- Expertise in creating Web Applications end-to-end
- Expertise in SQL and NoSQL database technologies
- Proficiency in data modelling and process large datasets
- Proficiency with Elasticsearch
- Proficiency with continuous delivery systems
- Experience with Agile iterative development frameworks
- Ability to express ideas clearly within the team and across non-technical groups
- Ruby and Ruby on Rails
- Redis, Heroku
- Angular and React
- Experience working on DevOps automation tools
- Semantic Web and/or Open Data technologies
- Graph database technology
- Knowledge of open company data, for instance Companies House datasets
- You have a high attention to detail, and are comfortable with complexity
- You are a self-starter
- You love to learn and have the ability to quickly pick up new knowledge and technologies
- You love share knowledge with others
- You are a top-notch problem solver
- You are a good communicator